Ryan Bubnis’ clean yet chaotic style has been described as “urban folk.” Through his paintings, he comments on themes relating to the human condition. Vibrant, abstracted shapes and faces radiate joy and optimism while they float in and out of rich, multi-layered realms.
Working intuitively he incorporates a range of mediums that include found objects, paper, wood, canvas, spray paint, acrylics, cel vinyl, sandpaper, pencil and India ink. He draws inspiration from life, graffiti, Saturday morning cartoons and outsider art from a variety of cultures. Bubnis has spent the last several years developing a respected following among collectors.
Born in California in 1975, he received his BFA in illustration from the Pacific Northwest College of Art in 2006. His work has been shown extensively throughout the US, Taiwan and Canada. He has been featured in publications such as Nintendo Power, Clout, Vapors and Juxtapoz magazines. Some of his clients include KidRobot, Nike, P.N.C.A., Ooba, The Portland Mercury, Hasbro, Gama-Go, ABC and 20th Century Fox. He currently resides in Portland, Oregon with his wife Cecilia and their cat Mr. Boo.
Designed Toy Releases
These are toys designed by Ryan.
Toy Series Participation
These are toys that Ryan has lent their design skills to.
- Dunny - 3" Dunny 2Tone Series, 2010
These are one-off, or very limited, toys.
- Piece for the Balls Out show, 2011
- Piece for the Balls Out show, 2010
- Custom for Natural Resources 3, 2010
- Station Wagon - custom for the Filth Wagon Show, 2009
- Munny - 18" custom for the Munnyworld Toy Exhibition, 2009
- Custom for Natural Resources, 2009
- Piece for the Balls Out show, 2008
- Custom for the NeighborWOOD Show, 2006
- Plush for Plush Week, 2006
- Piece(s) for Remixing the Magic, 2006
- Cheshire Cat - 8" custom for We're All Mad Here, 2006
- Piece(s) for The Chubby Bunny Show, 2006
- Piece(s) for I am 8-Bit, 2006
- Munny - custom for Munny Show LA, 2005
- Circus Punks - custom for 100 Circus Punks Rule NYC, 2005