Aaron Piland and Ayumi Kajikawa Piland are the fantastical magical duo known as APAK. They are a childlike husband and wife collaborative art team who live among the fury conifer giants in a little cottage on the outskirts of Portland, Oregon. They create artwork together as a way exploring the beauty, mystery, and magic of life as well as expressing their love for life and each other.
They are known in particular for creating rich and colorful gouache/acrylic paintings on wood featuring the utopian lives and adventures of curious little beings living in lush fantastic environments surrounded by friendly little animals, the landscapes are familiar yet surreal, hinting at a fantastic narrative while suggesting truths about the real world at the same time.
Designed Toy Releases
These are toys designed by APAK.
Toy Series Participation
These are toys that APAK have lent their design skills to.
- Bubblefun - Artist Series, 2009
These are one-off, or very limited, toys.
- Piece(s) for Tiny Trifecta, 2015
- Piece(s) for Tiny Trifecta, 2014
- Piece for 10x10, 2014
- "Stories Within Stories" for Works Cited, 2014
- Piece(s) for Scary Girl - 10 Year Anniversary Exhibition, 2012
- Piece for Tokusatsu, 2012
- "Water Break" for Pablove One Another, 2012
- Card for The Art Hustle 3, 2012
- Piece for the Balls Out show, 2011
- Piece for the Balls Out show, 2010
- Piece(s) for Small Gift, 2010
- Jibibuts - custom for We Heart Wood, 2010
- Buff Monster Series - Custom for The Monster Within show, 2010
- Plush for Luv-able and Hug-able, 2009
- Piece(s) for Warmholes, 2009
- Piece for the Balls Out show, 2008
- Plush for Plush Week 2, 2007
- "Tomodachi Parade" for the Calendorks show, 2007
- Piece(s) for the Calendorks show, 2006
- Wood Custom for the NeighborWOOD Show, 2006